New Orleans walking tours are some of the most fun and interesting things to do while visiting New Orleans. I can’t think of a better way to explore the New Orleans’ sights and neighborhoods than on a walking tour. Walking tours give you the opportunity to eat, drink, photograph, learn and enjoy your way through the French Quarter and the Crescent City. Walking tours in New Orleans include Garden District walking tours, Historic Cemetery walking tours, Historic French Quarter walking tours, Haunted History walking tours, Food walking tours and a New Orleans Photo Safari walking tour. Walking tours offer some of the best opportunities to see, photograph, experience and learn about Louisiana, New Orleans, and the French Quarter. So whether you are a native or you are visiting New Orleans I must recommend that you take one of the many walking tours available.
Take an American Photo Safari French Quarter or Garden Distric Guided Walking Tour
What happens when you combine a French Quarter walking tour, a Garden District walking tour –OR- a Houmas House Plantation tour with a photography class? American Photo Safari! Grab your camera, put on your walking shoes and join them for a fun and informative 3 hour Photography Workshop Guided tour in New Orleans. Learn secrets for taking great photos from local, professional photographers. Perfect for beginners! Explore the historic French Quarter or the New Orleans Garden Distric with an insider. Create those outstanding photos you've always dreamed of taking. No more boring snapshots! Any type of camera and all skill levels welcome. French Quarter tours start at Jackson Square in front of the St. Louis Cathedral. Garden District tours start at the Lafayette Cemetery Gate on Washington Ave (1450 Washington Ave). American Photo Safari has also teamed up with the historic Houmas House Plantation and Gardens to offer participants a day of learning, relaxation and beauty that can only be enjoyed in Louisiana. Advance registration required for all Photo tours, you can register online at American Photo Safari or by calling (504) 298-8876. Be sure and mention promo code SAVE1048 and save 10% off the purchase price of this New Orleans guided tour!
Take a French Quarter Haunted History Walking Tour
Explore New Orleans on a Haunted History Tour. These New Orleans Haunted History Tours are RECOMMENDED by the Travel Channel as "The #1 Haunted Tour in New Orleans." These walking tours are given 7 days a week - rain or shine. • Length of Tours: Approximately 2 hours • All Haunted History Walking Tours Require Reservations.
* French Quarter Ghosts & Legends Walking TourThis ghost tour explores the grim and ghastly deeds of the old French Quarter. A spine-tingling nighttime journey into New Orleans eerie haunted past and present. Discover why New Orleans is considered to be The Most Haunted City in America.
* French Quarter Vampire Walking TourJoin this haunted tour and walk through history and experience the legends of famous New Orleans vampires, real & fictional. Visit historical French Quarter sights & locations associated with these vampires. Are there vampires lurking in the French Quarter? Follow the experienced guides into the dark realm and find out!
* New Orleans Voodoo Walking TourThe only haunted tour of its kind in New Orleans. Enter the real world of Voodoo as only the French Quarter can offer.
* Cemetery TourThis haunted tour takes participants within the walls of our oldest and most interesting burial ground. Tour includes the tomb of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. Stroll through the ancient maze of above ground tombs and learn the fascinating history and burial practices of St. Louis Cemetery No. 1.
Jogging Tour for One, Two, or Four by New Orleans Jogging Tours
Lace-up your running shoes and join New Orleans Jogging Tours for a unique tour of the Big Easy! New Orleans Jogging Tours offers a 10K narrated jogging tour of the Crescent City’s best historic and cultural sites. New Orleans Jogging Tours offers the perfect opportunity to explore New Orleans while enjoying our outstanding weather. This is a healthy and fun alternative to your typical guided excursion. New Orleans Jogging Tours is ideal for travelers who are tired of being confined to planes, cars, and hotel rooms. Why spend your time in New Orleans cooped up in a bus, when you can discover the city on foot? Enjoy getting exercise and learning about New Orleans from our licensed tour guides. Their 90 to 120 minute tours begin at the U.S. Mint building at 9 a.m. Monday–Saturday. They also offer customizable and private tours. For more information on New Orleans Jogging tours call (504) 858-9988
Historic Algiers Walking Tour and ferry ride across the River!
Algiers Point Tours Algiers Point Tours offers a two hour walking tour of Historic Algiers Point in New Orleans. Every tour includes a round trip ferry ride from Canal Street (downtown New Orleans and French Quarter) across the Mississippi River to tour Algiers. The ferry ride is a great time to take photos of the city skyline and the Crescent City Connection Bridge. As the second oldest neighborhood in the city (est. 1719), Algiers Point offers a rich mix of history, architecture and small town charm! Every Algiers Point Tour will cover cultural and historic attractions of Algiers in addition to introducing every guest to the exciting things to do in Algiers Point! Algiers Point Tours likes to offer a unique experience to each individual and tour group that takes the tour; we will make every effort to customize the tour based on your interests. Same day reservations are possible, contact us at: 985-381-6831
Take a Historically Accurate Magic Walking Tour
Founded in 1992, Magic Tours is highly respected for its commitment to HISTORICAL ACCURACY while providing an informative, fun-filled experience. We take pride in the fact that our New Orleans Tour Guides are licensed professionals with a keen interest in the history and culture of New Orleans. Tour lengths are 2 hours, reservations required, Phone# (504) 588-9693
* French Quarter Walking TourFounded in 1718, the French Quarter was the original settlement of this nearly 300 year-old city. Stroll through the narrow streets, soaking up the charm and ambiance of America's most interesting city.
* St. Louis Cemetery Walking TourOn this cemetery tour your will discover that within the walls of this 200+ year-old cemetery rest some of New Orleans’ most famous residents. Visit the tomb of Marie Laveau, the famous Voodoo Queen.
* Garden District | Irish Channel | Lafayette Cemetery Walking TourOn this walking tour you will stroll the shady streets of the Garden District and see the stately mansions.
* Ghosts, Haunts, & Voodoo Walking TourMagic Tours created this unique Haunted Tour that is now imitated by so many. Join us for this historical, fun-filled and chilling after-dark walk around the French Quarter in search of the living dead.
* Pirates and Scoundrels Walking TourWalk in the footsteps of famous pirates and the scoundrels that traversed the streets of New Orleans. You will hear the history of men such as Jean Lafitte and the "Baratarians".
Friends of the Cabildo French Quarter Walking Tours
Experience a memorable two-hour walking tour in one of the oldest communities in the United States: the historic French Quarter in New Orleans. The Friends of the Cabildo French Quarter walking tours are conducted by city-approved guides and emphasize the history, architecture, and folklore of this fascinating city. These Walking Tours depart from the 1850 House on beautiful Jackson Square in the historic Lower Pontalba Building. This makes it easy to shop at the 1850 House Museum Store. At the Museum Store you can find handmade art, jewelry, pottery and crafts by local artist, great books from history to food, and other mementos of your visit to New Orleans. For more information on Friends of the Cabildo walking tours call (504) 524-9118
Take a Guided New Orleans Cemetery Tour * “Cities of the Dead”
No visit to New Orleans is complete without a cemetery tour of the city's oldest outdoor museums. Often called CITIES OF THE DEAD, these cemeteries are noted for their unique, above ground tombs. The tombs serve as monuments to the eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and they, like the cemeteries themselves, are a major part of the city's unique heritage. Save Our Cemeteries, Inc. offers authentic, accurate guided New Orleans cemetery tours through two of New Orleans' oldest and most historically significant cemeteries, Lafayette No. 1 and St. Louis No. 1. Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 is located in the historic Garden District. It is among the city’s earliest and most significant above-ground burial sites. St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is located just outside the historic French Quarter, was founded in 1789 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Relive the romance, the tragedy, and the memories of two centuries of New Orleans' history, brought to life by representatives of Save Our Cemeteries, Inc. Save our Cemeteries strives to provide our participants with safe and historically accurate tours. For more information on their cemetery tour call (504) 525-3377.
New Orleans FOOD TOURS a Taste Adventure
The New Orleans’ Tastebud Food Tours is another great way to explore New Orleans. The Tastebud guided tour specializes in food tours in NOLA’s most delicious and historic neighborhoods. Their Five Star rated Food Tour visits five food tasting locations from specialty food shops, landmark hotels and one-of-a-kind ethnic eateries. Tastebud Walking Tours provides a three hour narrated glimpse into the city’s food, history and architecture. Experience the diverse tastes of New Orleans famous eateries! Hear about New Orleans history, cultural fun facts and celebrated cuisine. Enjoy a muffaletta at Serio’s. Savor Jambalaya at the Old Coffeepot. Indulge in famous Pralines, Gumbo, Po-Boys, beignets, and other taste bud delights! On all Tastebud Food Guided Tours, everyone walks at a leisurely pace allowing all to see, hear, smell, taste up close, and truly enjoy some of NOLA’s most interesting and tasty spots! Tastebud guides are friendly and brimming with knowledge about the sights and tastes along the way. They lead small-sized groups with a personalized touch and invite conversation and interaction. They invite you to be their guest for a memorable New Orleans experience that reveals selected New Orleans favorites often missed by most visitors.
Historic New Orleans Guided Tours
Explore New Orleans most spectacular sites and intriguing traditions with the city's most qualified guides. The cultural history of New Orleans is stranger than fiction and needs no embellishment. Join us for an accurate, enjoyable presentation guaranteed to shed light upon the mystery and majesty, the grandeur and decay, the Crescent City's inimitable mystique. Phone# (504) 382-2268
* French Quarter History Walking Tour * Twilight French Quarter StrollOn this French Quarter tour you will experience the storied streets of the Vieux Carre where legend and documented history converge. From the dynamic Mississippi River to the serene courtyards, experience the French Quarter with the city's best guides.
* Haunted French Quarter Walking TourOn this Haunted tour you will venture into the realm of the unknown by touring "America's most haunted city." Experience the French Quarter after dark through the enthralling storytelling of the city's most informed raconteurs.
* Garden District/Cemetery Walking TourOn this Garden Disctic tour you will explore one of the world's most dazzling residential neighborhoods with knowledgeable and entertaining guides. Cemetery Tour included.
* New Orleans Music Walking TourThis New Orleans Music Tour explores the world’s richest musical city, starting with a rare inside look at the legendary Preservation Hall.
* Cemetery/Voodoo History Walking TourOn this Cemetery Tour you will stroll through the past and present of this fascinating city viewed through St. Louis Cemetery #1 with New Orleans' top-rated guides.
* Scandalous Cocktail Hour Walking TourOn this walking tour you will explore New Orleans storied watering holes such as Pat O’Brien’s, the Carousel Bar, Jean Lafitte Blacksmith Shop and others to discover where, why, and how legendary libations from the Sazerac to the Pims Cup were first concocted.
Creole PubCrawl Arts & Warehouse District Guided Walking Tour
An endeavor true to New Orleans, Creole PubCrawl promotes this great city, a city of magic and lore, a city that you should eat and drink your way through. Their mission is to introduce visitors to the amazing chefs, creative mixologists, and rich history that reside in the NOLA’s Arts & Warehouse District, an area sadly overlooked by many New Orleans visitors. Creole PubCrawl offers both day and night walking tours with several Crawl options such as the Historic Crawl, the Culinary Crawl and the Party Crawl. Creole PubCrawl is a licensed tour operator with the City of New Orleans, and explicitly follow the city's municipal code. Their tour guides are excited to teach you what they know about the New Orleans Warehouse District. If you have any questions along the way, do not hesitate to ask your tour guide as they are provided to inform you! All Creole PubCrawls require reservations, for more information call (504) 812-8226.
While these walking tours are free don’t forget that the tour guides spend a lot of time and effort to provide you with a memorable New Orleans experience. Therefore please tip them graciously.
Free French Market District Walking Tours
These two French Market District Walking Tours are given every Monday and Wednesday. All tours are completely free, led by a locally licensed tour guide and approx. 40 minutes each. First come, first serve: Limited to 16 people. No reservations required. TOURS ARE HELD RAIN OR SHINE: Check Facebook “French Market New Orleans” for updates or call (504) 522-2621 with questions.
10 a.m. Monday “FRENCH MARKET DISTRICT” Tour: Meet at the French Market arch at Ursulines St., at the Farmers Market entrance (between N. Peters and Decatur Streets). This tour takes participants throughout our entire 6 block area, from the Farmers & Flea Markets to Jackson Square. Learn about the history of the French Market and get a sense of our entire riverside district, including our landmarks, living and historical legends, plus gain some lagniappe about where to eat, shop, and experience the best of this corner of the Quarter. Tour ends at the Upper Pontallba building on Jackson Square.
1:30 p.m. Wednesday “FOOD AND MUSIC” Tour: Meet outside of the Jazz Park Visitor Center in Dutch Alley, below Galvez Restaurant. Address: 916 N. Peters Street. Located behind A Tisket a Tasket Bookshop at 910 Decatur Street. This tour delights all of your senses, including your senses of humor and history, with plenty of historical tidbits and locals’ inside info, from jazz to jambalaya, and all things in between. Start with a short documentary inside the Jazz Park Visitor Center, then catch a balcony river view from Galvez Restaurant’s balcony, as you learn about the Mississippi’s River’s influences on New Orleans culinary and music culture. Culminates with a stroll through our lively Farmers and Flea Markets, to end at the Old U.S. Mint on Barracks Street, home to an exhibit about Preservation Hall, as well as free musical concerts.
Take a FREE New Orleans Walking Tour
Free Tours by Foot offers the only FREE, tip-based New Orleans walking tours. These interesting and informative New Orleans tours will take you through many of the city's legendary neighborhoods and cemeteries. This is New Orleans, the home of Mardi Gras, the French Quarter and the Garden District; America’s most distinct and alluring city. Most tours cover about 1 mile and last approximately 2 hours. For more information on New Orleans Best Walking Tours call (504) 222-2967
* French Quarter Walking TourJoin Free Tours by Foot and wander the historic streets and alleys of the French Quarter, passing by the street theater, peeking into historic churches, discovering hidden courtyards, all while your guide entertains you with stories of authors, artists, priests and pirates. Join them on this walking tour as they uncover the real French Quarter.
* Garden District / Lafayette Cemetery Walking TourJoin Free Tours by Foot and stroll the leafy, magnolia shaded streets of the Garden District and the Lafayette Cemetery. This tour is not just mansions and manicured gardens, but stories of legends, tragedy, epidemics, lost causes, movie stars, celebrity chefs, haunted spirits, and haunted history.
NOLA TOUR GUY * Free New Orleans Walking Tours
If you are looking for a fun free way to explore New Orleans then contact tour guide David Hedges at NolaTourGuy.com. By drawing on the local character of the city he loves, adding real social and political history and adding a healthy dose of humor David has created a unique guided walking tour. Their walking tours are FUN because they are experts at breathing life into the amazing history of New Orleans. Their guided tours are FREE because this ensures the guide will give the best possible tour so you, the guest, will tip! Jump into 300 years of history on a French Quarter Walking Tour. See the most opulent mansions of the 19th century by joining them for our Garden District Walking Tour. Get to know the city by getting to know the dead and our unique burial rituals in the St. Louis Cemetery Tour. For more information on the guided walking tours by NolaTourGuy.com call (504) 300-9489
Riverfront History Stroll * Daily at 9:30am
Enjoy a free guided walking tour that is provided by the Jean Lafitte National Park Service. It is the Riverfront History Guided Tour and it all begins at the National Park and Preserve Visitor Center. Take an hour-long walk along the levee for an overview of New Orleans History. Tour ends on the levee across from Jackson Square. 25 free tickets are given out for the walk on the day of the program beginning at 9 a.m. They suggest you arrive early---first come first served. One ticket per person---each person wanting a ticket must pick up their own ticket. The Visitor Center is located at 419 Decatur Street in the French Quarter.